|CHANGING SETTINGS OF MS INTERNET EXPLORER / MS MAILŪ V3.x
Note: You may find it useful to print this page and work from the printed copy - click here
Setup a new "dial-up
connection" to Tech Info Internet.
2. Double click on "Dial-up networking", then double click on "make new connection"
3. Using the setup wizard which
comes up, fill in the detail as follows:-
4. Single click with the right mouse button on the Tech Info icon and select Properties from the menu which appears.
5. Select Server Types from the screen. On the Server Types screen which appears it should have Type of Dial-Up Server as PPP:Windows 95, WindowsNT, Internet in the box. On the rest of the screen only the boxes marked Enable software compression and TCP/IP (under protocols) are the only ones with ticks (or crosses) in them - all others are blank.
6. Select TCP / IP settings. On the page which appears, there should be a "radio button" should be in "Server assigned IP address" and another in "Specify name server address". In the Primary DNS type in (in place of the 0.0.0.0) 184.108.40.206 and in the Secondary DNS type in 220.127.116.11 Both the Primary WINS and Secondary WINS should have 0.0.0.0 in them. Both the Use IP header compression and Use default gateway on remote network should have ticks in the box beside these options.
7. Press OK then OK to
close off the Dial-Up Networking setup then click on the X at the top right hand
corners of the boxes open on the screen to close them all and return to a Windows desktop
8. Select the tab at the top of this page labeled Connection. Make sure the box labeled Connect to the Internet as needed has a tick in it and that Tech Info is the selected Internet service which it will dial.
9. Make sure the box Connect through a proxy server has an X in it then select Settings. In the HTTP box at the top type in proxy.techinfo.com.au and in the port box to the right type in 8080. Make sure the box labeled Use the same proxy server for all protocols has an X in it. Click OK to finish.
10. Select the tab labeled Navigation at the top of the page. Select In the Page field Start Page then type into the address box http://www.techinfo.com.au then click Apply. Select In the Page field Search Page then type into the address box http://home.netscape.com/escapes/search/netsearchv1.html then click Apply then click on OK. Changing the default search page away from the Microsoft search page is a good thing as the Microsoft system is generally too busy to connect to. Now close off Control Panel back to a clean screen.
We are now ready to connect to the
Internet for the first time:-
13. Click on the Signature
After typing in your preferred "signature", click on Apply, then click OK, then OK to save these changes and exit. Click on the X at the top right hand corner of the Mail screen to close this off.
Setting up the
news group reader:-
15. Select News then Options
from the top menu. Select the Server tab. Fill in your details as follows:-
16. Click on Add at the bottom of the news server(s) box. Type in the news server name as news.techinfo.com.au then press Apply then OK. Now press Apply and OK again to exit from the news server setup screens.
You are now fully set up and ready
to go with the Tech Info Internet service.
----------<< MENU >>----------
Check Online Usage // About Us // Check email though web interface // Dial up Access Rates // Dial up Access Application form // Domain hosting rates
Domain hosting application form // Frequently Asked Questions // Sites of interest // Software Setup for Techinfo Internet // Equipment used by our system
Terms and Conditions of use // 56k modem firmware & driver upgrades // Techinfo ftp site // System news // Sites hosted for Business customers